Passages Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program provides Medicare counseling services in Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Plumas, and Tehama counties.
HICAP is a state-sponsored, volunteer-supported program that provides free counseling to people with Medicare about their benefits, rights and options, and other health insurance related questions. HICAP provides unbiased information to help you make an informed decision for your individual health care needs. The California Department of Aging (CDA) provides funding and oversight of the program through contracts with local Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) offices that administer the local HICAP programs. HICAP does not sell, endorse, or recommend any specific insurance product. HICAP services are free and include individual counseling and assistance as well as community education services.
Who Does HICAP Serve?
- Current Medicare beneficiaries
- Adult children and other representatives of Medicare beneficiaries
- People about to become eligible for Medicare or planning for retirement
- People younger than 65 years old who are eligible for Medicare due to a disability
- Service providers, such as social workers, nurses, doctors, and healthcare advocates working with Medicare beneficiaries
- People needing information on long-term care insurance