What We Do
The Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) is a free service of PASSAGES that helps people with Medicare issues regardless of age. Maintained by state registered, trained staff counselors and volunteers, this critical program provides hands-on objective information and problem resolution in relation to: Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans, and supplemental plans such as Medigap, prescription drug plans, government assistance programs, and long-term care insurance. Our Medicare counselors can help you:
- Understand Medicare, or resolve problems with benefits.
- Compare Medicare supplemental insurance or health plans.
- Explore long term care (LTC) options and evaluate LTC policies.
- Compare Part D drug plans and other prescription drug resources.
- Find out about government programs that reduce your medical costs.
HICAP is also available for presentations and workshops regarding how to make the most of it. Give our community outreach specialist a call to schedule a time to come and speak to your group or your organization. We invite you to explore our website and learn more about Medicare and other services of PASSAGES. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. To schedule an appointment with one of our state registered counselors, please call or email us at:
- Chico/Paradise: 530-898-6716
- All other areas: 1-800-434-0222
““This project was supported, in part, by grant number CFDA 93.324 from the U.S. Administration for Community Living, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington D.C. 20201. Grantees undertaking projects under government sponsorship are encouraged to express freely their findings and conclusions. Points of view or opinions do not, therefore, necessarily represent official Administration for Community Living policy.”